Right now we are exhausted after a long day with walking. We have been to Auschwitz and shopped a lot today. Let’s take a look at this beautifull Monday:
We started the day with breakfast at the hotel. Nothing special here. Then we took the bus to Auschwitz at 08:30.
The bustrip took around 1.5 hours. In the bus we could watch a little documentary about Auschwitz. They showed pictures and clips from the liberation day. It were very strong pictures, with dead and scared people.
Before we went on the guided tour through Auschwitz, we got a 15 minute break. Then we had to go through a safety control. The first thing we saw, was the guarding towers and the gate with the inscription «Arbeit Macht Frei» wich means «Work gives freedom».
The tour included visits to different barracs. We saw the uniforms the prisoner had worn and their belongings, some documents, pictures and where the prisoners were punished. We also got to see the execution wall and where the commander lived. The commander were captured and executed in Auschwitz in 1947.
At the end of the tour, we got to see the last gaschamber and crematorium. They were executed and immediatly moved into the crematorium.
After this we got another break, before we headed to Birkenau by bus. This were mainly the execution-area in Auschwitz. Because only 10% of the prisoners could stay at Auschwitz, the other 90% were sent here. The gas-chambers here were blown up when the Nazis evacuated the area.
In Birkenau there were also barracs. Here they slept on top of each other. When these prisoners got sick, they were sent to the «Death barrac» where they waited for their execution, often for many days.
It was very tough to think about all the people who died in these camps, and we believe everybody could feel the tension when we walked around the area.
When we were done at the concentration camps, we went back to the hotel and ate dinner toghether. After that some went shopping and some stayed at the hotell to relax.
Later in the evening we met in the old town to have a last dinner togheter, it was very nice and cozy. Then we had to get back to the hotel and pack, because we have to wake up early tomorrow!
Anne, Elise and Svein 😀